The Crooked house as it is now known was first built in 1765 as a farmhouse. Its leaning is due to local mining in the 1800s when the building was badly affected by subsidence, meaning that one side of the building is now four feet lower than the other! It then became the Glynne Arms named after Sir Stephen Glynne, on whose land it stood before being condemned as unsafe in 1940s.
Thankfully this wonderful building was rescued by Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries when it was reinforced with supporting buttresses and girders. Now known as The Crooked House it has become a tourist attraction and is visited by thirsty travellers from all over the world. The level floors combined with the leaning walls can create some very intriguing optical illusions where glasses can slowly slide across tables and you should ask to see the marble roll uphill.
Spice members have also recommended this as a great venue for traditional home cooked food. So we are putting their skills to the test with a menu that includes some local Black Country touches!