Spice love doing things that raise lots of much needed money for deserving local charities - particularly when we can have lots of fun at the same time! This will be our 5th Duck Race in aid of The Cancer Support Centre who do amazing work supporting people and their families following a cancer diagnosis. They give help to people from all over the West Midlands.
This year we are also celebrating the life of our friend and keen Spice member Allan Jones who we lost to cancer in 2018 and always supported our Duck Races. He was also responsible for many other events that supported the work of the Cancer Support Centre and other local charities. Many Spice members will remember his 'Home Cinema Nights' and many live music/ garden party type events.
This day is really several events in one, the highlight being the race itself, followed by an opportunity to visit the Mill, cafe and enjoy all the events that are going on there. There is also the opportunity to enjoy a guided walk around the country park in return for a voluntary donation to the Cancer Support Centre:
1) The Duck Race: We will meet in the car park of New Hall Mill (which is open for its Open Day today) and walk to the start point which is a bridge in the middle of the park.
Around 11am the ducks (lots of numbered plastic ducks that is!) will be released into the water for their swim. All the spectators (bring the whole family!) can follow the ducks downstream to the finish line where - cheering them all the way home! The first ducks home will win prizes for their winning sponsors.
2) Visiting The Mill: Afterwards, there will be the option of visiting New Hall Mill which is close by and is holding an open day. The mill will be working and there will be lots of side shows and attractions to enjoy. They also have a lovely café
3) A Guided Walk: Meet Richard outside the cafe at 1pm for an hour's walk around New Hall Valley Country Park. Amongst other things, we'll encounter several historic buildings included a moated manor house. You do not need to pre book this walk but you will be invited to donate to collection for the Cancer Support Centre in return.
How you can be involved in the day:
1) Sponsor a duck for £5 (or a VIP duck for £10). It could win you a prize. No need to attend the race in person as we’ll inform you if you win.
2) Come and watch and enjoy to the New Hall Mill Open Day & Café afterwards.
3) Help with the Duck Race. We need some “marshals” with wellies and sticks to follow the ducks and prod any that become stuck (as we have to ensure that we leave the stream as we find it and return all the ducks to safety!).
4) Attend the Walk
5) Could you or your company donate a prize for a winning duck? A bottle of wine, an experience, a voucher etc. Please let us know.
PRIZES DONATED SO FAR:
You could win you a range of prizes which so far include a Kababish Indian meal voucher, 2 Cabaret Tickets, a Cake, a Spice event voucher plus various bottles of wine!