Blog - We're All Going On A, Skiing Holiday! Your Ski Packing Checklist
Dec 01, 2017
Skiing is a hobby and sport that a lot of people undertake across the year. It's fantastic exercise, gets you out in the open air and gives you a great adrenaline rush. So it's not surprising that so many people are taking up skiing for the first time at the moment. But if you've never done it before, it can sometimes be a bit tricky to decide what you need to take on your snowy adventure. At Spice we love our skiing, and we try to go on a few trips every year. It’s always a mix of advanced skiers and complete beginners, and so this year we wanted to give you a bit of a heads up before you head up the slopes. That's why we've come up with a comprehensive checklist that covers everything you need for the perfect skiing holiday.
Those few really important bits you just couldn't survive without. These bits will make sure that, whatever happens, even your worst fears about the trip - you will be able to come up with a solution.
- Tickets, money, passport
- Flight/coach/train/ferry details
- Insurance details
- EHIC (European Health Insurance Card – we are still officially in Europe so this is essential!)
- Credit card
- Driving license and directions (if you're driving)
This part of the list covers your basic equipment for the trip. Everything you need to actually get out on the slopes and start skiing. These are the basics, and you can upgrade and go high tech if you want to. But if you are a beginner, this is all you need.
- Ski boots
- Day rucksack
- Transceiver, shove; and probe (if you're heading off piste)
- Water bottle or Camelback
- Multi-tool for repairs or adjustments on the go
As well as your skiing equipment, you will also need some protective clothing out on the slopes. This not only protects you from injury but also the possibility of burning and frostbite. Keep yourself wrapped up and warm while you're on the slopes, and be ready with the cold medicine if you don't.
- A warm hat/balaclava
- Sunglasses and goggles
- Neck warmer
- 2x thermal tops & bottoms
- 2x fleeces
- Waterproof ski jacket, trousers and gloves
- 2 or 3 pairs of ski socks
You're not always going to be on the slopes - so it helps to have other clothes with you! Research the weather patterns of your destination before you go, but generally pack for anything. Cold is a given, but pack for rain and heat as well, just in case.
- Jeans or long trousers
- T-shirts and tops
- Jumpers and fleeces
- Underwear and socks
- Comfy trousers and jogging bottoms
- Normal gloves
- Shoes or boots with good grip
Other Important Bits and Pieces
The little odds and sods that don't fit into the other categories. They aren't the day 1 essentials, but you wouldn't want to be caught without them either!
- Toiletries (including a toothbrush - how many times have you forgotten that!)
- Sunscreen and after sun (you can still get burnt in the snow!)
- Swimming costumes/trunks
- Phone and charger (make sure it stays charged at all times in case of emergency)
- Travel plug adapter
- Any medications (including painkillers, cold tablets and sleeping pills)
- Books and magazines
- High energy snacks
- Muscle Pain relief (you may be using muscles you haven't used for a while!)
...And A Few Luxuries
We can't be without our little luxuries, and if you're planning on leaving the slopes in the evenings for more sophisticated events, these might just come in handy.
- Walkie Talkies
- Travel Pillow
- Video Camera
- Hair dryer/straighteners
- Makeup (and removers)
- Hand warmers
- Deep heat or any other muscle soak
- Joint supports
At Spice, we run multiple skiing trips and getaways throughout the year. Already, if you look at our calendar, you can see 10 trips starting between now and February, to all sorts of areas. So whether you like the looks of the French Alps (in which case, Morzine, France), the soft Swiss snow (Verbier, Switzerland) or the lush Italian landscapes (Champoluc, Italy) we have something for you. For more information, or to book onto one of our ski getaways in 2018, just get in touch with us today.